Monday, August 16, 2010

Who is my Title Company to my Mortgage?

I am looking for a survey to my house and need the original Title Insurance Company who did my original Mortgage, how do I find it?? Also, I went to the Department of Buildings and they said they do not have a copy and to check with my bank. Bank said check with my county. I live in Brooklyn NY, how do I reach the county office?? Any other way I can get a property survey without paying to do another survey because I think it is available somewhere. Please help!!Who is my Title Company to my Mortgage?
When you closed on the property there was a document created called a HUD 1. This document spelled out all of the monies paid out and who paid it (seller or buyer). The form is filled out by the Escrow Company which is also many times ALSO the Title company. Either way it should show the name of the Title Company.Who is my Title Company to my Mortgage?
You can try a online search for your county. Your title company name should be on your settlement statement.
In the paperwork you received when you purchased your house will be a copy of the title insurance policy. Whether this includes a property survey you will have to see. It may vary from state to state.
Most likely, your bank will know who issued the Loan Policy; that would be your title company. You may also want to check on the filed Mortgage (this would be filed at the County Registrar or Register of Deeds, or possibly the County Clerk - I'm not sure how it works in NY.) - some companies mark their information on the front of the document. Don't you have a copy of the Owner's Policy, or did you not get one? If so, some kind of contact info should be on the commitment or policy. I'm guessing you don't know the name of the survey company? If you did, you could ask for a duplicate, which should be much cheaper than a full new survey.





Another alternative is to go through all the Title Companies in the phone book, call them all and ask if they have your property in their records. They should all have databases of the properties they've insured. Hope you find the survey!

No comments:

Post a Comment