Friday, August 20, 2010

My home was recently damaged in a tornado, how does payment of the claim work?

It seems everybody I've spoken with is pretty rude, and I haven't gotten a clear explanation of anything.





A settlement check will be written out for me and my mortgage company. How is the money released to me?





Rather than having one contractor come out and do everything (roof, garage door, rebuild walls) for a price near the total settlement (close to $20,000) can I outsource it myself to separate companies to save myself some money (and keep it)?





I'm completely clueless and haven't had anybody who will talk to me.





Please give me a little help.My home was recently damaged in a tornado, how does payment of the claim work?
The First thing I would suggest is to find a lawyer if your home owner's insurance company, or the mortgage company is giving you trouble and especially if they are being rude about the situation. Also the American Red Cross doesn't always look for people who need help like you. Sometimes you need to seek help from them. They do have some excellent councilors who know allot more about where to start and what to do than most people because disaster is they're specialty. Don't believe the negative hype about them there are only a very select few who have done anything wrong but the whole organization has been wrongly branded. Sorry for your loss and good luck in your recovery. You have my prayers.My home was recently damaged in a tornado, how does payment of the claim work?
My friends house was damanged in a fire.


He gets money a little at a time as the work is being done.
My condolences. I just went through a minor version of this.





If you can't live in the house, the insurance company will pick up the cost of an apartment %26amp; moving expenses. These checks are written to you.





All checks for the house will be written to you and the mortgage company. The mortgage company is REALLY familiar with how this works and are your friend in this. You sign the check and send it to your mortgage company. They will send you checks made out to you and the contractor as progress %26amp; expenses are incurred. They will also do inspections to be sure you are spending the money on the house damage. Keep your receipts!!!!





The insurance company will low ball the initial estimate. Don't worry it's their job. WHEN the money runs out, they will come back out and look at it again. They will conclude that the first estimate was low and issue another check to you and the mortgage company. Send to the mortgage company.... (repeat)





The insurance company low balled you in the beginning so that if there is money left over they win. They are counting on you coming back several times.





You can pick your contractor / contractors.
A settlement check will be written out for me and my mortgage company. How is the money released to me?








in a check








Rather than having one contractor come out and do everything (roof, garage door, rebuild walls) for a price near the total settlement (close to $20,000) can I outsource it myself to separate companies to save myself some money (and keep it)?





how you get it fixed is up to you, as well as who yu pick to do it
The check is given to you. You can repair your house as you see fit.
The settlement you get is your money, you could go get a face lift with it you want....sorry to hear about that...what a bummer...

No comments:

Post a Comment