Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do you handle a mortgage after a breakup w/BF?

I own a home with my boyfriend and both our names are on the mortgage...things are not so good now. What happens if we break up and he gets nasty? I have a little boy and would rather move out then expose my son to my BF's voilent, nasty outbursts but I worry about his locking us out and saying we abandoned the property. I would just want to sell it and go our seperate ways but I know he will react negatively and make my life Hell. We are in PA if that helps! Thank you in advance!!!How do you handle a mortgage after a breakup w/BF?
Go to the courts. PA has a common law marriage. If you have together owned the house more then 18 months together and combined bills you are common law married. Then you can get divorced and he will have to buy you out of the house or sell.How do you handle a mortgage after a breakup w/BF?
First, don't worry that he will say you 'abandoned' the house-- if he's living it in and you broke up, that's perfectly reasonable in the court of law.





Second, you hae two basic options: Sell the house and split the equity, or have him refinance (if he's the one that wants to keep the house) and pay off the other person's share in the equity.
don't put a boyfriend on your loan in the first place. preventive maintenance. too much drama. good luck.
You need a local attorney.


This is to serious to be asking for help in the internet! The wrong answer could spell disaster for you.





See an attorney now!

No comments:

Post a Comment