Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I handle a shared mortgage after a breakup?

I own a home with my boyfriend and both our names are on the mortgage...things are not so good now. What happens if we break up and he gets nasty? I have a little boy and would rather move out then expose my son to my BF's voilent, nasty outbursts but I worry about his locking us out and saying we abandoned the property. I would just want to sell it and go our seperate ways but I know he will react negatively and make my life Hell. We are in PA if that helps! Thank you in advance!!!How do I handle a shared mortgage after a breakup?
Is your name on the DEED, which is a different thing than the mortgage? Your name being on the mortgage means that you鈥檙e responsible for the payment. Your name being on the deed means that you have an interest in the property. If your name鈥檚 on the deed, then the fact that you moved out will not matter. You will still have an interest in the property. He cannot be awarded the property by claiming that you abandoned it just because the relationship ended and you moved out. Your choices are (1) one of you refinance the property and buy the other out (2) you sell the property and split the proceeds (3) if he鈥檚 not willing to agree to either then you go to courtHow do I handle a shared mortgage after a breakup?
What a mess! It's bad enough when couples are married. Either he puts it up for sale and you two split the profit or He needs to buy you out. If he refuses, then all you can do is go to court.
Please remove your child from any violence in your household!


Remember- even small children WILL remember traumatic events from as young as 1 year old. Do not let him grow up thinking domestic violence is the proper way for families to behave. You are better off to leave the BF with the house and move. You can always find another place to live, but you'll never find another child like your son.

No comments:

Post a Comment